Pages

Wednesday 15 October 2008

Volatile Stock Market

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotion, spends himself in a worthy cause; who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never tasted victory or defeat."Theodore Roosevelt

Another Down day in the market. I'm not sure why some people that visit this blog dislike me. I never claimed to be a guru. I've shown great humility and many of my worst trades ever on this blog and yet people find enjoyment in my failures. Besides the negatives, I know for a fact that I have helped many people in there trading and that is why I kept this blog going for so long. I'm not deleting this blog because there is a lot to be learned of the journey I have taken as a trader for the last 3 years. Trading futures is very tough. I first lost half my account in the first 6 months of trading and then I made it all back and doubled my account the following year. At the start of 2008 my account was at its peak and I took a devastating long trade over the holiday weekend which more than wiped out half of my account in a day. No one expected the move January 21 2008. I took some time to recover from the loss. I came back and started trading consistently again and I was up nicely after a couple months. My hope and dreams of making it were starting to come back as a trader but then I made some terrible mistakes in June trying to short Crude Oil when it was around $120 a barrel followed up the next month by betting gold was a good buy around $850, unfortunately my timing was a month off. It was a vicious cycle I had put myself in. A cycle that I had seen for the 2 previous years of trading. Make a sold month worth of profits and then lose it all in a couple days from moving stops because I didn't expect the market to be so wild. I have proven to myself that I lack discipline and that I should practice more even after 3 years of trading.


"I have not failed 10,000 times. I have successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work"Thomas Edison

"The desire to win is born in most of us. The will to win is a matter of training. The manner of winning is a matter of honour."Margaret Thatcher

"Risk more than others think is safe ~ Care more than others think is wise ~ Dream more than others think is practical ~ Expect more than others think is possible." Unknown

"If you love what you do, you won't work a day in your life" origin unknown

"If you believe in yourself, have dedication and pride and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards."Paul "Bear" Bryant (Late, great coach of the Alabama Crimson Tide football team)

More Great Quotes

0 comments:

Post a Comment